As a government employee, do you know how to file a complaint with the EEOC if you’ve been discriminated against? It’s important to know your rights as a government employee and how to expose the injustice of discrimination using methods designed by our government, to protect everyone. Here are the steps on how to file a complaint with the EEOC:

Step 1: Contact an EEO Counselor

If you have been a victim of discrimination, the first step is to contact an EEO Counselor where you work or applied for the job. You have 45 days from the day of the discrimination occurrence or personnel action (eg: demotion or firing) to contact an EEO Counselor. Agencies are required to post information on contacting the EEO Office in a central location where employees have access to it.

Step 2: EEO Counseling Process

After contacting the agency’s EEO Office, an EEO Counselor will contact you to discuss your rights and responsibilities and conduct an interview about your discrimination incident. You will be given a choice to participate in EEO counseling or an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) program for mediation. In any case, the EEO Counselor should be able to give you advice on your particular situation to move forward.

Step 3: Final Interview with Counselor